Thursday, January 17, 2013

AmericanAirlines, and the new design :|


AmericanAirlines new logo ...its going to take me a while to get use to this one... 



I remember reading, in AmericanAirlines magazine, one benefit to Not painting the plane (leaving it that polished silver) was it made the plane lighter, (one doesn't realize How much paint it takes to cover a plane and the weight it adds to the body). American Airlines had a classic, simple sweet design I grew up with, and liked it. 

Without fully painting the planes, American Airlines stood out a little extra from other airlines. Painting them over now, for me, makes them blend back into what most other planes look like; not stand out as much with that reflection of the bare metal.

image take from:  airlinereporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/AAlivery.jpg

Other airlines have wrapped their design around, center it nicely, or do something else to make it look completeThe flag design on the tail here, just ending flat at the base, makes it look unfinished to me.

I'm also curious, how much Delta Airlines' redesign influenced American Airlines', because it reminds me of Delta now, except the flag design on American Airlines is straightened out. Delta image taken from: http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2012/10/08/delta-adds-seattle-routes-to-shanghai.html?page=all

I understand, American Airlines spent a lot of time, energy and money into updating it's brand. Had they went around the USA, and showed the design in public groups, the final design might have came out a little bit different. Interesting to read the comments at the end of the YouTube video.


image from: http://www.inc.com/erik-sherman/what-killed-american-airlines-could-kill-you.html

There was something classic, simple sweet to the look of the previous design, and time will tell peoples' reaction to to the new one. We'll just get use to the new design I imagine, but it's going to take me a while to get use to new look of AmericanAirlines.



*2 extra points if you realized this blog was done in Helvetica font and why :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I do read them and take note. If theres any question you feel to ask, go further into, or even have a resource that you think would help, let me know :)